crashing amoon8 — Jun 29, 2018 06:53AM PDT
When i attempt to log in food, the app crashes
1 Community Answers
Bruce MyFitnessPal Agent Jun 29, 2018 12:23PM PDT
Please accept our apologies for the problems with users experiencing the iOS app crashing at the startup or when adding foods.
Listed below are a series of troubleshooting steps. We recommend trying the steps in order, as they are common fixes to minor issues users may experience at times. Please work through all 5 steps before replying back that your issue is still presenting itself. If your issue is fixed before all 5 steps are finished, no need to continue on. We just ask that you reply back letting us know.
We are constantly updating the app, and new versions are being released to the App store. Would you mind first checking the App store to make sure you are running the latest version of MyFitnessPal?
If you are not due for any updates or updating does not help resolve your problem, would you try to force close the app and then re-open the app to see if that helps?
To force close, double-click the iPhone ‘home’ button. A row of application icons should appear on the left of your current screen. Scroll through them and find MyFitnessPal, then swipe the MyFitnessPal app up towards the top of your phone.
If force closing does not help, try powering your phone off and then back on. To restart, hold the sleep/wake button at the top of the device for about five seconds until you see a slider marked “Slide to Power Off.” Slide this across, and wait for the screen to go completely black. Once it’s been off for about 60 seconds, hold the same sleep/wake button to turn your phone back on.
If you are still having an issue, we recommend uninstalling and then reinstalling the app. Please DO NOT uninstall if you are running on an older version of the iPhone software – iOS 5 or older (not the device). If you are running an older version of the software, please contact us back and let us know before going any further.
Please make sure you know your username and password before uninstalling the app. If you need to reset your password, please visit https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/forgot_password (your username will be included the body of the email.)
Older versions of the iPhone app (before version 4.0) had two settings, an offline and online mode. Before deleting your app, please note that any information that has not previously synced will be lost. If you created your account in the offline mode, reinstalling the app will delete all your past information and we cannot recover it. You can check for an offline account in these versions by tapping “More” and “Edit Profile.” If it says “local account” you are not syncing with the web. Please contact us for further information.
To make sure your data has been syncing with the site, go to www.MyFitnessPal.com. Sign in using the same username and password as you do with the app. There you can check your data and add any information that has not yet synced. All information visible online should sync to the app after you reinstall. If you are not finding your account and information online, please contact us back before uninstalling the app, and we will do our best to resolve the issue without any data loss.
Here’s what you need to do to safely uninstall and reinstall the app:
- First, you need to try to sync the app to make sure your data has been backed up. Open the app and log in. In the Menu on the left (or the “More” page on newer versions), scroll down to the “Sync” item. If the app reports it has not synced recently, tap the Sync item to force a sync. Make sure that your phone is connected to the internet when you are trying to sync. If you are not able to get the app to completely sync, then, unfortunately, when you uninstall the app you will lose any changes you have not synced.
- Next, remove the app by going to the main applications screen, finding the MyFitnessPal icon, and pressing your finger down on it until the icon starts to jiggle and an “X” appears. Tap the “X” to delete the app.
- Once the app has been uninstalled, open the App Store and search for “MyFitnessPal,” and reinstall the app.
- Finally, once the app has been reinstalled, open the app and log in to the Log in area using the same username and password as before. Your data should then sync from the main website back to your app.
If none of these options have helped, would you mind contacting us here and provide us with some additional details so our technical team can further investigate?
If you could please reply to this email with the following Template, with answers, copy & pasted into your response:
- Around which date did you first notice the issue appear
- Your MFP username
- If you log in with Facebook
- Do you use MFP in other areas besides your iPhone, such as iPad, Website, etc.
- Which device(s) you are using: iPhone 5, iPhone 6, etc.
- What iOS version you are using? You can find this by going to Settings on your iPhone > General > About > Version
- What cell phone or internet provider you use.
- Your physical location such as city/state
- What version of MFP you have installed, found in the Menu (or “More” page) then Help>About Us> Version under the logo
- Do you have any app partners connected to the app, such as HealthKit, Fitbit, RunKeeper, etc.
- If you can please describe the steps you take to replicate the problem, and on what step the problem occurs
- If you can send in any screenshots representing the issue it would also be greatly appreciated
We thank you so much for your help in finding the issue. We will do our best to have it corrected as soon as possible.
If need be, please send additional questions and concerns via a new email so the support can continue to assist you. Also, remember our program can also be accessed via our main website at www.MyFitnessPal.com (simply sign in with the same username and password as the app).